Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A Star Studded Sociable

That was the title of Grantsville's 126th Annual Old Folks Sociable this year. The Sociable is an annual community event that was originally started as an entertainment venue for the senior citizens. Over the years it has morphed into quite a big ordeal. It is now a very strong tradition here in Grantsville. When I say strong, I mean it is HUGE!! They choose new Co-Chairmen and committee members every year to organize the whole thing. It entails a car show, dancing, dinner, socializing and, of course, the big show that consists of community members performing different numbers. Not just anyone can be in the show, too. You either have to audition or be asked to be involved.

Joseph has been able to participate in the Old Folks Sociable every year since we moved here. The first year they asked him to be in a men's choir. The second year he was part of a quartet. This year he played his violin and sang with his friend and fellow band member, Dillon Hurst. They sounded SOOO AMAZING!!! This year's Sociable was all Broadway tunes and they were asked to perform Edelweiss. I'm including the video I took. I have to apologize because I didn't have a chance to zoom in before they started, so you can barley see them. The sound is decent, though. Of course, my lame camera never does Joseph justice.


We really had a fun time going to and being a part of the Sociable this year. Joseph's band, Forty Days, was asked to play for an hour in the evening in one of the "gathering" rooms. They were originally told it was for the dance, but found out last minute that they would be playing in the main room where people just come to hang out and socialize. They had some problems with their sound system, which was kind of bummer, but oh well, it was still a good opportunity for them to play some of their original pieces for the first time.

No comments: