Today is the sixth day of Hanukkah. We have had a great time celebrating with the girls!! Fanny has really enjoyed lighting the candles, singing Hanukkah songs and getting a small gift every night. Her gifts have included a dreidel, gelt (small chocolates wrapped in gold foil to look like coins), and this amazing puzzle set we found that has four puzzles which each correspond to a different Jewish holiday.
Here is Fanny who got up on the table when we weren't looking to play with the Hanukkiah (Hanukkah menorah). Good thing we hadn't lit the candles yet.
Opening a present.

It was a hit!!!
I just LOVE Hanukkah! We had a great time the other night celebrating with a meal of latkes and then some doughnut holes I made for dessert. The custom is that the foods you eat for the holiday are fried with oil since Hanukkah is the celebration of the miracle of the small bit of oil found during the re-dedication of the second temple. There was only enough oil to last one day, but it ended up lasting eight days, hence, the eight days of Hanukkah. If you want to go find out more about Hanukkah, go HERE.
I'm so glad we are teaching the girls about their Jewish heritage by celebrating Jewish holidays. It means we get to do a lot of celebrating throughout the whole year!!
Happy Hanukkah!!!
1 comment:
That is great! Holiday traditions are a great way to remember your heritage. I'm sure your girls will cherish these memories. Happy Holidays!
Post a Comment